Complete Phu Quoc Travel Essential Guide
Phu Quoc Vietnam is listed as one of the must-have trips in Southeast Asia because of its wonderful beach, smooth golden sand beach, spectacular water activities, also own a wide range of homestays, hotels, resorts from budget-saving to luxurious.
Get your plan fulfilled with this Phu Quoc detailed guide & discover the amazing day trip, where to stay, dishes to try, transportation, and the best things to do at day, even at night.
Phu Quoc is located in Kien Giang Province, ~403km away from Ho Chi Minh city. It is considered to be the biggest island in Vietnam currently with a total of 1320 square kilometers, covered by mountains and forest & most marvelous beach among the country. The so-called paradise island also allures travelers around the world by its system of the traditional fishing village, long-stretching fine beach sand.
The island has thrived to be the paradise tourist land, leads to the prices and fees in most are a bit pricier than other areas of Vietnam, especially in the peak season when a huge number of local & international travelers are flocked to.
Nevertheless, Phu Quoc Vietnam still the destination that comes with many options for budget-saving travelers, from the accommodation, food, to tours in Phu Quoc are offered in a various range and can be much cheaper than what you would pay back home.
It’s easy to recognize there are 2 different seasons in the tropical Phu Quoc island: the dry season is from November – April, rainy season is from May – October. Therefore, the best season to enjoy all the best things to do in Phu Quoc is in the dry season, when travelers can spend time on the beach, have fun with many activities and savor the warm sunshine.
Though being the ideal season to visit, airplane, accommodation & tours 1-3 month advance booking is necessary to reserve the best places with reasonable
According to current law, most citizens of many countries are granted the Vietnam Visa exemption with a staying period of up to 90 days. However, your passport must have at least six months’ validity.
Vietnam Visa exemption is granted to:
- Citizens of Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Laos for visits of 30 days at the maximum
- Citizens of Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia, and Finland for visits of 15 days at the maximum
- Citizens of United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Germany for visits of 15 days at the maximum (Valid until 30 June, 2021)
- Citizens of the Philippines for visits of 21 days at the maximum
- Citizens of Brunei and Myanmar for visits of 14 days at the maximum
- Citizens of Belarus of 15 days at the maximum (Valid until 30 June, 2020)
- Citizens of Chile holding valid diplomatic or official passports for visits of 90 days at the maximum
- APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Holders from Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) member economies for visits of 60 days at the maximum
Other countries that are not listed above can apply for Visa-on-arrival. However, for international Phu Quoc travelers with direct flights from international airports will be exempted for 30 days of Vietnam Visa.
Guide of how to get to Phu Quoc
The easiest and fastest way to get to Phu Quoc island is to fly with many direct routes from Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Can Tho, Da Nang and international flights from China (Guangzhou), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Hong Kong, Thailand (Bangkok) by Vietjet Air, Jetstar, Vietnam Airlines, Bamboo Airways, Air Asia, etc
In order to save cost to get your trip within budget, our advice is to scanning on tickets at least 1 month before visiting. Price is sometimes really economic for route from Ho Chi Minh City – Phu Quoc (1-hour flight).
Bus & Ferry
For backpackers or travelers that wish to experience the beautiful scenery along the route to Phu Quoc, taking a bus is not a bad idea.
Tickets at a reasonable cost around VND 150.000 – 190.000/ way / people. Our tip is booking an overnight bus is convenient as having time to sleep and get off at Ha Tien or Rach Gia harbor in the morning.
Speedboat to Phu Quoc takes 1.5 hours for the route from Ha Tien and 2.5 hours from Rach Gia.
- Superdong: book online or get to the offices below (VND 125.000 – 330.000/ ticket)
- HCMC: 12 Nguyen Ngoc Loc, Ward 14, District 10
- Ha Tien: 11 Tran Hau, Binh San Ward, Ha Tien Province
- Rach Gia: 14 Tu Do, Vinh Thanh Ward, Rach Gia City
- Phu Quoc: No.10 30.4 Street, Duong Dong Town
Tickets should be bought in advance to prevent out of stock circumstance, especially in peak season and present 30 minutes before the departure time.
Most of the speedboats merchant offer bus for guests to Duong Dong town center with a cost of VND 30.000 per ticket. Otherwise, the solo traveler can take a motorbike taxi with a cost of around VND 70.000 per pax.
Except sightseeing in North or South small islands of Phu Quoc, travelers must hire a boat, other sightseeing destinations in Phu Quoc is easily accessible by motorbike and car. Check out how to rent the vehicles for moving around Phu Quo & private airport transfer.
Remember to put on the helmet before driving around Phu Quoc for your safety and follow Vietnam’s transportation rules.
Where to stay in Phu Quoc island?
Holding the title of a paradise island, Phu Quoc has captured a huge number of travelers. Therefore, it is not difficult to find ideal accommodation that suits any demand.
Beachfront: For travelers who would like to enjoy the beautiful beach shore and bedroom with ocean view, accommodation situated along the Long Beach are the best choice.
Convenience & budget-saving: surrounded by many restaurants, clubs, markets & coffee shops, there is no area better than Duong Dong town. Booking rooms around this place can help visitors easily find and walk to, price is also
Luxury retreat: Apart from accommodation with 2 most-picked features, there are also resorts in An Thoi, Cua Can, Ganh Dau, Duong To, etc which is quite far from the city center. Nonetheless, the quiet ambiance & private area is perfect for a relaxing trip.
Being called the “Hawaii” or “Maldives” of Vietnam because of the pristine scenery and charming beach shore where visitors can lay down all day having sunbath, soak in the cool water under the warm sunshine; the Fingernail Island is truly an escape heaven place that should not be missed in Phu Quoc day trips.
For non-certificate diver or non-swimmer, snorkeling is a convenient method for seeing the swimming ocean creatures, coral reefs and floating above the water by provided life vest and snorkeling mask.
Dam Ngang & May Rut island are ideal places for enjoying this kind of activity and become among the top things to do in Phu Quoc for all visitors, even children & elders can join.
Another way for watching the marvelous underwater world with ease is underwater walking with professional equipment. People will find no difficulty in walking around, feed fishes, see coral reefs within an arm-length.
Diving is a worth-to-try activity regardless of its sophistication for being the best way to getting deep down into the ocean and having a chance to witness the vibrant life that other methods cannot.
Fishing is long a traditional occupation of locals in people among the ocean such as Phu Quoc – Vietnam. Seeing fishermen catch fresh seafood on the ocean has been becoming popular, also attractive for travelers. The work seems easy until one can have a chance to try this traditional Vietnamese fishermen job on catching fish & squid. However, it’s still an interesting thing to do in Phu Quoc at night.
If traveling with family or friends, spending a day to enjoy the recreational activities: paragliding, personal watercraft, visiting near-by gorgeous small islands, scuba diving, etc
A part that makes Vietnamese become signature is having fish sauce as one of the spices that cannot miss enhancing the flavor. The procedure of generating a drop of saltiness, the ocean-like scent takes months to years from choosing the best fresh fish to the product on hands.
Taking a day trip to the local fish sauce factory in the things-to-do list in Phu Quoc will grant everyone a chance to see directly this hereditary routine.
This land is famous for producing organic bee honey & pepper in the local gardens, which are places for having Insta-worthy pictures and buy some Phu Quoc products as souvenirs.
Explore Dinh Cau Rock Temple
Located in the center of Duong Dong Town, Dinh Cau Rock Temple is a place for locals to come and pray for the goddess blessing on their fishing trip.
Visitor besides coming to know more about the religious side of locals living along the ocean, the view and sunset scenery here is one of the best to spend hours sightseeing in your things to do in Phu Quoc list.
A place of history that was built by the French colonists (also known as Coconut Tree prison) during the Vietnam War in the 1960s-70s. The prison with figures and demonstrations will give visitors a clear image of the devastating actual situation caused by war.
Watching the sunset on Phu Quoc beach
A stunning moment only happens once a day with the best places to watch are along the beach and cruise. For visitors that stay in beachfront accommodation will get the best seats for observing the sunset on the beach shore.
Accommodation with less advantage can also get many ideal spots to watch this spectacular moment at:
- Ocsen Beach Bar – 118 Tran Hung Dao
- Chuon Chuon Bistro & Sky Bar – Sao Mai Hill, 69 Tran Hung Dao
- Shri Beach Club & Bar – Tran Hung Dao street, Duong To, Phu Quoc
- The Rock Corner Beach Bar & Fast Food – 124 Tran Hung Dao, Duong To
- Aroi Cafe & Dessert – 24 Tran Hung Dao
- I Love Phu Quoc Restaurant – 40 Tran Hung Dao
- Rock Sunset Island Bar – Nam Nghi Resort (pre-book before coming to reserve and check the weather condition which could affect the activity of transferring boat from the resort to bar – Hotline: 0297 3891 234, ticket price VND 200.000/ person (1 drink is included)
People who visit Phu Quoc – Vietnam is already familiar with popular beach areas such as Long Beach, Sao Beach and rarely notice of the stunning Ganh Dau Cape, just a few kilometers away from Duong Dong town which is open to a new separate world of peace to enjoy fully the sound of ocean, the taste of sea breeze. From here, visitors can clearly see the land of Cambodia.
Ong Doi Cape in Khem Beach
Being situated in the rarely seen location in the world where people will see sunrise and sunset and the same place. The alluring curly fine white sand, majestic rocky rapids above the ocean create an impressive scenery.
At the end of the beach, there is a Fairy Well with an underground water stream that has been told will never dry in spite of how much times of usage, and yet still remain the natural sweetness, even when the tide goes up.
Getting here, no need to do anything or find things to do but laying down the whole day because nature has granted this place the shallow beach shore and gentle waves which is perfect for sunbathing.
Sao Beach is the most popular spot in Phu Quoc, therefore, lots of services: food, chair renting, canoe are offered for visitors’ convenience.
If you are amazed at the image where colorful starfish are alive and spotted along the shore, Rach Vem is what you are looking for. The road to get here is a bit rough for motorbike riders, it’s safer to visit in daylight.
One of the ideal places to relax in the cooling fresh-air forest, soak in the natural waterfall & pool, visitor can find it in Tranh stream. In the dry season, there is less water and as not beautiful as in the rainy season, which is best during May – September.
One of the largest amusement parks in Vietnam, designed in a large area with many fascinating recreational activities for the family’s day trip while in Phu Quoc. Also, children can not only play but also approach to the world of nature in Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc, watching many creatures and animals’ habitat.
What to eat in Phu Quoc?
Every land of Vietnam own signature dishes, Phu Quoc is not an exception for much delicious food to try.
- Red herring salad: most of the restaurants offer this dish at a very reasonable price. The gentle fatty flavor of red herring combines with fresh vegetable and rice paper, dip in garlic mixed fish sauce creates a stunning signature dish of Phu Quoc.
- Ken noodle: “Ken” is the name that Khmer uses to describe the coconut milk in the creamy sauce of the dish – which is stand out by the fish are well-pureed like rousong, stir-fry with lemongrass, chili, garlic until becomes dry, crispy and has an attractive aroma.
- Quay vermicelli soup: When the delicious broth comes with fresh seafood will satisfy your hunger. However, it’s the dipping sauce that uses simple spices, following a suggested recipe or makes your own favorite creates this must-try dish’s popularity.
- Boletus mushroom (making soup or hot pot): the special point in this food is that it only appears when the ground becomes wet in the rainy season.
- Ham Ninh flower crab: famous for the vibrant red color, consistent texture, gentle sweetness.
- Fish cake rice noodle: mackerel caught in Phu Quoc ocean are the best among Vietnam regions. There is no surprise that in the Phu Quoc food list, mackerel fish cakes in rice noodle becomes so popular and most favorite dish for any meal in a day.
Phu Quoc itinerary, How many days should be spent?
Travelers should spend at least 3 days in Phu Quoc in order to enjoy the most favorite, popular activities such as snorkeling in Southern island, sightseeing pepper farm, coconut prison, Ho Quoc pagoda, Ham Ninh village, Sao beach, etc. For guests that stay for 4-6 days will have more time to discover all Phu Quoc from tourist to pristine site, relax at the resort, especially trip with the family will give children time to play at the amusement park.
Looking for local consultant to suggest awesome ideas for your trip, carefully manage your itinerary, even it is a Leisure, Honeymoon, Family Trip, Wedding, Wellness Retreat, Dive Trip, Conference or Corporate Incentives.