Detailed Vietnam Travel Guide For 2019
Preparing for a trip is usually difficult for everyone especially when traveling to a totally new place. If you are planning for a trip to Vietnam, let’s check out the Vietnam travel guides in 2019 for a wonderful and less-risky trip.
BASIC VIETNAM INFORMATION
When you come to a totally new country, you have to know about the general information about this country. Here are some must-know things about Vietnam.
- Currency: Vietnam Dong (VND) – $1 ~ VND 23,000.
- Language: Vietnamese
- Capital: Hanoi
- Big cities: Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Hue
- Population: 96.46 million
- Area: 329,565 m2
- Coastline: 3,260 km (2,030 mi)
- Electricity Voltage: 220 Volt at 50Hz
- Electricity Sockets: Plugs type A (two flat vertical pins), type C and type F (two round pins) fit most Vietnam electrical outlets.
HOW TO GET TO VIETNAM
There are various big airports in Vietnam such as Tan Son Nhat Airport (SGN) in Ho Chi Minh City or Noi Bai Airport (HAN) and different ones in big cities. So that you will find easy to fly to Vietnam from around the world.
Vietnam Airline, Jetstar Pacific Airline, Vietjet Air and Bamboo Airways are the familiar carriers in Vietnam. Vietnam Airlines is considered Vietnam’s national carrier with high trusty and quality. All of them will have their own website that you could be easy to search for flights.
If you are in Australia, Europe or North American, you can’t fly directly to Vietnam, you will have to book a flight with a layover in other countries: Hong Kong, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul or Singapore.
- Europe: you will take about 15 hours to get to Vietnam. If you are in Paris, Frankfurt and London, you can fly direct to Hanoi that you could search on Vietnam Airlines website. From Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam Airlines and Air France have direct flights from Paris. For other countries, you have to book a flight with a stopover of international airports such as Thai Airlines, British Airlines,…
- North America: will take you approximately 16 hours on a plane to Vietnam. There are no direct flights. If you are coming from the US or Canada, use airline services of China Airlines, Korean Airlines, Japanese Airlines,…
- Australia: you have to take about 8 to 14 hours which depends on your journey. Vietnam Airlines and Jetstar have direct flights to Ho Chi Minh city from Sydney or Melbourne. But if your destination is in Hanoi, there are no direct flights to this place. Check out Vietnam Airlines for a stopover from Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Korea or Ho Chi Minh City. So that will be great if you have some days in Ho Chi Minh City then flying to Hanoi on your Vietnam trip.
- Other nations in Asia: there are many options for you for direct flights. Check out the Vietnam Airlines or the Asia carriers’ website for good deals to Vietnam.
If you are coming from China, it will definitely be an amazing Vietnam trip by train.
If you want to save money, let’s buy a ticket from Beijing to Ping Xian then cross the border and buy another one from Dong Dang to Hanoi. Don’t buy a direct ticket from Beijing to Hanoi. To have more information, you can refer HERE.
How about traveling to Vietnam by bus when you are coming from Cambodia, Laos or China? From Vientiane (Laos), you can take a bus to Hanoi and from Siep Reap or Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City.
VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR VIETNAM
BEST TIME FOR A VIETNAM TRIP
Vietnam is a beautiful country with a lot of amazing activities that you can explore depending on the weather, scenery and budget you like. The peak season is from mid-December to February that the price is high to double. If you want a budget trip, let’s choose the low season.
- Low Season: April – June, September – November.
- Shoulder Season: December – March
- High Season: July & August
- Northern Vietnam: April to May and September to October are the best time to have a trip in these areas with sunny and airy days after stopping the rains. From December to March, the weather gets cold and this time is not suitable for hiking or sailing activities in Halong Bay. But you can ride a motorbike to explore all Northern Vietnam with the best moments.
- Central Vietnam: The best months to travel Central Vietnam are from January to June that you could avoid heavy raining days in October or November or super hot months from May to August.
- Southern Vietnam: The best months for these attractions here are from January to April. But Southern Vietnam is beautiful all year round, just having afternoon downpours from May to November.
TRAVEL ITINERARIES RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VIETNAM TRIP
Your trip planning will depend on how much time you have. Don’t try to jam-pack your trip, having a good balance between exploring fascinating destinations, trying to new experiences, enjoying delicious food and beverage, especially relaxing enough.
Vietnam is a long and narrow nation with huge things to do so that don’t try to explore all of them in one trip. Let’s choose one place to adventure that makes you have a comfortable and relaxing trip.
So in this part, we will suggest some of amazing itineraries that will be suitable for your plan.
- Hanoi: 2 nights.
- Halong Bay: 2 nights.
- Sapa: 2 nights.
- Mai Chau (Nearby Sapa): 2 nights.
- Phong Nha: 3 nights.
- Hue: 2 nights.
- Hoi An: 2 – 3 nights.
- Da Nang: 2 – 3 nights.
- Dalat: 2 – 3 nights.
- Ho Chi Minh City: 3 nights.
- Mekong Delta: 2 nights.
BUDGET FOR A VIETNAM TRIP
Vietnam‘s traveling price is quite cheap and it depends on your budget. Let’s check out the budget in a day to plan your reasonable trip.
Single traveler: $20 – $30, Couple travelers: $40 – $50
$30 for a day includes prices:
- The dorm room ($5 – $8)
- Street food ($1 – $2)
- Beverage (local beer $1 – $1.5)
- Ticket price
- Transportation (bus ticket $0.3 or $4 for a renting motorbike)
Single traveler: $40 – $50, Couple travelers: $60 – $80
$50 for a day includes prices:
- The private hotel ($20)
- Street food ($1 – $2) or enjoy food in a restaurant
- Beverage (local beer $1 – $1.5 or a cup of wine $10)
- Ticket price
- Transportation (a renting motorbike or take a taxi)
Single traveler: $90 – $130, Couple travelers: $120 – $200
You will not wonder where to live or what to eat in your luxury Vietnam trip. there are various options for you from luxury hotels located in the city center to the best fancy restaurants with wonderful scenery.
TRANSPORTATION IN VIETNAM
When you come to Vietnam, you will definitely be surprised by plenty of motorbikes. Moreover, cars and buses are also popular transportation in this beautiful country.
Using the plane is the best way to save time. There are a lot of airports in big cities around Vietnam. Jetstar and Vietjet are 2 airline brands being popular at reasonable prices while Vietnam Airlines is a bit higher but the services are very good.
Traveling by train is an amazing experience. Moreover, spending an overnight on the train with your friends is also great:
- Hanoi to Sapa (8 – 9 hours)
- Hanoi to Hue (11 – 16 hours)
Vietnam has many rails from the southern to the northern, so it is a wonderful way to get around the country.
Motorbike is a popular vehicle in Vietnam so that you find easy to rent or buy one for your trip to ride all the country. You could stop everywhere you like to take a short rest and continue on your trip whenever without worrying about the schedules.
Besides the motorcycle, the car is also a familiar type of transportation here. You take a taxi or rent a car charter to drive on your own which is a great way to discover Vietnam.
Popular taxi in Vietnam:
- Mai Linh Taxi
- Vinasun Taxi
- Vina Taxi
Maybe you listened to this vehicle. This is a must-try activity in Vietnam. Taking a cyclo tour to see the city which is unique and enjoyable. A wonderful experience of sightseeing.
ACCOMMODATION IN VIETNAM
Depending on your budget that you will choose the best suitable for you from $5/ night for a shared dorm to $300 / night for a luxury hotel.
The standards of accommodation vary in each place. For instance, you can easily find a gorgeous hotel in the middle of somewhere in Vietnam with only $12 / night. But it is very difficult when finding a hotel like that in the big cities such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hue or Da Nang for less than $25 / night.
Note: In Vietnam hotel, customer have to be kept a passport or Identification Card when booking a room in the duration of your stay. But if you will worry about your passport you can note with the receptionist locking you passport up.
Here are some of our recommendations in many different places in Vietnam that you can refer to.
- Luxury Danang Beach Resorts For Honeymoon
FOOD IN VIETNAM
In each country has special and unique cuisines that make visitors remember the taste. When coming to Vietnam, one of the most exciting and surprising things to do is the food. Let’s check out some of the delicious dishes that you must try in Vietnam.
Spring roll (Goi Cuon)
The dish is made from the rice paper rolling with raw vegetable, shrimp and pork, then dipping into a special sweet and sour sauce made from peanut. You can choose to enjoy it in 2 ways:
- Buy it in the street food that is rolled by the sellers. It will be nicer and fell more delicious.
- Roll it by yourself that will be fascinating. If you think it is easy, let’s try it on your trip.
You can see many Banh Mi court in Vietnam street. It is bought in every corner of Vietnam. The special sandwich is filled with pate, spring onions, vegetables, meat, fish, sausage, soy sauce,… There are many tasty and ingredients in it. Banh Mi is a full and fast dish but it still has enough nutritious for you.
Bun cha is a dish with noodles, grilled pork and a bowl of sweet and sour fish sauce. The dish originating from Northern Vietnam is the most durable gift of Hanoi, so it can be considered as one of the typical specialties of Hanoi cuisine.
Cao Lau is the name of a noodle dish in Quang Nam. This is considered a specialty dish of Hoi An city. This noodle dish has yellow noodles, used with shrimp, pork, raw vegetables, and broth. The yellow noodles are mixed with ash of a local plant.
5 MUST-VISIT DESTINATIONS IN VIETNAM
In July 2019, Hoi An (Quang Nam) overcame rivals such as Tokyo (Japan), Ubud (Indonesia) … to lead the poll of the best city in 2019 organized by Travel and Leisure. After that, the old town continues to appear on Google’s Vietnamese homepage (Google Doodle).
Together with Everest, Antarctica … Dave (UK) TV channel has brought Son Doong cave (Quang Binh) to the top of the world’s top great adventure destinations, announced in August. Ranked 5th in the list, Son Doong cave is a famous destination in Quang Binh province. The world’s largest natural cave expedition promises to bring memorable experiences to visitors.
Phu Quoc (Kien Giang) is a Vietnamese tourist destination that attracts foreign visitors. In June, pearl island was named in the list of Asia’s best destinations by CNN in 2019. In addition to Phu Quoc, Hanoi is also on this list. Phu Quoc island district owns beautiful beaches, rich cuisine, many luxurious resorts and the longest cable car system in the world.
Earlier this year, National Geographic voted Nha Trang (Khanh Hoa) as one of 50 important tourist destinations in the world. The coastal city attracts foreign tourists by the pristine landscape of many islands such as Binh Ba, Diep Son, Hon Yen …
Can Tho is a popular tourist destination in western Vietnam but rarely appears in foreign media. This August, Departures magazine of America put Can Tho on the list of 15 cities with the most beautiful canals in the world. The peaceful land attracts tourists by the beauty of the peaceful river, the fruit forests, the rustic life of the locals …
5 MUST-TRY EXPERIENCES IN VIETNAM
Taking an overnight train from Hanoi to Sapa
It is so amazing when passing through wide forest, rice fields or imposing mountain in your route. Especially taking the overnight train that you could see the sleeping countryside. Moreover, in the trains, there is a cafeteria so don’t worry when you feel hungry at night.
Go hiking through the Sapa terraced fields
Discovering the waters of the Mekong Delta
Going caving in Phong Nha
Riding a motorbike
VIETNAM TRAVEL GUIDE: TIPS
- Always ask the price before buy or use somethings especially in tourist sites
- Don’t bring valuables with you out at night. Keep them safe in your hotel room and lock them in safety.
- Don’t get drunk and have a walk around the dark alley alone.
- Don’t go to private casinos and gamble with the locals.
- Don’t try to argue with the locals if you feel it is too strained.
- Don’t get on a bike when you drunk.
Fayfay.com believes that all basic information below will help you have a safe and fascinating trip to this beloved country – Vietnam.
Looking for an online travel agent to suggest awesome ideas for your trip, carefully manage your itinerary, even it is a Leisure, Honeymoon, Family Trip, Wedding, Wellness Retreat, Dive Trip, Conference or Corporate Incentives.
Pin it now!